Monday, October 12, 2015

raymond run

Word list (question one)

Signify
   denote or connote
    The bisb tie color signifies the house  you are in.
synonyms; signal
    
    Prefer
    like better; value more highly 
   I prefer ice cream over chips
synonyms; rather
 
Hustled 
move or cause to move energetically or busily
They were hissed and hustled as they went in
synonyms; jostle
 
Periscope 
an instrument providing a view of an obstructed field
That man saw through the periscope to see the garden 
synonyms; jostle
 
Static
not in physical motion
I did some static stretches before I started the football match
synonyms;radar

Rowdy
disturbing the public peace; loud and rough
I am a rowdy because I make a lot of people laugh loudly.
synonyms;unchanged
 
Slosh
spill or splash copiously or clumsily
water in the boat sloshed about under our feet, into the water. 
synonyms; splash
 
Uptight
being in a tense state
It was a uptight situation during the final when India needed 6 off 3 balls to win the cricket World Cup against Pakistan.
synonyms; tense

Glockenspiel
a percussion instrument consisting of a set of metal bars
When you hit a note in the glockenspiel you can hear a soft creeky voice like "diiiiiiiingggggg"
synonyms; instrument
 
Next word list

  Prodigy
an unusually gifted or intelligent person  
 David is a future prodigy because he plays tennis really well. He is tipped to be the next Roger Federer.
synonyms; phenomenon

 Corsage
 an arrangement of flowers that is usually given as a present
 Joanna wore corsages around her wrist ahead of the wedding.
  synonyms; garland
 
Spiel
   plausible glib talk
    The king thought his spiel was blunt
   synonyms; jabber

   Liable 
 subject to legal action
The company which was accused of illegal contracts was misunderstood because they actually had liable contracts. 
synonyms; legal
 
   Ventriloquist 
a performer who projects the voice into a wooden dummy
    I am a bit of a ventriloquist when it comes to laughter.
synonyms; artist

    Jam packed
 filled to capacity
    The crowd, in Manchester ahead of their football clash between Chelsea, was jam packed.
synonyms; full

   Squint
partly close one's eyes, as when hit by direct blinding light
   The sun made me squint really quickly. 
synonyms; blinded
 
   Chit chat
light informal conversation for social occasions 
   I am a bit of a chit chatter when it comes to talking.
synonyms; talkative

   Quicksilver
heavy silvery toxic univalent and bivalent metallic element
   I saw through the thermometer a quicksilver.
synonyms; uncertain

 2.Inference
A. I infer mr.pearson and Hazel (squeaky) hate each other because "Well, Squeaky,” he says, checking my name off the list and handing me number seven and two pins. And I’m thinking he’s got no right to call me Squeaky, if I can’t call him Beanstalk.

“Hazel Elizabeth Deborah Parker,” I correct him and tell him to write it down on his board.

“Well, Hazel Elizabeth Deborah Parker, going to give someone else a break this year?” I squint at him real hard to see if he is seriously thinking I should lose the race on purpose just to give someone else a break. “Only six girls running this time,” he continues, shaking his head sadly like it’s my fault all of New York didn’t turn out in sneakers. “That new girl should give you a run for your money.” He looks around the park for Gretchen like a periscope in a submarine movie. “Wouldn’t it be a nice gesture if you were . . . to ahhh"  

B. I infer that Hazel after retiring from her running career would want to coach Raymond. Because she was thinking of it in the story.So I stand there with my new plans, laughing out loud by this time as Raymond jumps down from the fence and runs over with his teeth showing and his arms down to the side, which no one before him has quite mastered as a running style. And by the time he comes over I’m jumping up and down so glad to see him—my brother Raymond, a great runner in the family tradition. But of course everyone thinks I’m jumping up and down because the men on the loudspeaker have finally gotten themselves together and compared notes and are announcing “In first place—Miss Hazel Elizabeth Deborah Parker.” (Dig that.) “In second place—Miss Gretchen P. Lewis.” And I look over at Gretchen wondering what the “P” stands for. And I smile. Cause she’s good, no doubt about it. Maybe she’d like to help me coach Raymond; she obviously is serious about running, as any fool can see. And she nods to congratulate me and then she smiles. And I smile. We stand there with this big smile of respect between us. 

She is thinking about her post retirement whether she coaches Raymond for running.

3.

1. A little girl with skinny arms, it is a imagery because it tells about how she looks.

3(2). Her voice it is because it tells about her voice

3(3). Big mouth is a imagery because it tells about her look and her mouth when she is going to speak. 

4(4) the big kids call me Mercury because I am the swiftest things in the universe

4.

A.plays like he is driving a stage coach.

B.thinks he is a circus performer 

C.thinks the curb is a tightrope stuck high 

This all show that Raymond is doing some fantasy stuff, he is imagining and doing that action almost like he is dreaming. 

Finished!!!!!!!

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment